West Highland Way, Scotland
The West Highland Way is a 155km (96 mile) long route, running from Milngavie, north of Glasgow, to Fort William in the Scottish Highlands. Opened in 1980 as the first official long distance footpath in Scotland, it is one of Scotland’s official Great Trails and part of the International Appalachian Trail.
The trail gives a fabulous introduction to the Highlands of Scotland and offers breath-taking scenery as you hike from Glasgow, along Loch Lomond and then into the heart of the Highlands. It is the most popular walking route in Scotland and considered one of the classic long distance walks of the world.
The route is usually described and walked from south to north. The thinking behind this being, the southern stages are easier, and will prepare walkers for the more demanding and spectacular northern stages.
In addition, after finishing their hike in Fort William, many walkers choose to crown their hiking adventure with a ride on the Harry Potter steam train or a climb of Ben Nevis, the UK’s highest mountain.
Why go walking on West Highland Way?
- Challenge yourself to hike all, or part, of Scotland’s finest long distance trail and enjoy a special camaraderie with fellow hikers from all around the world
- Capture amazing photographs as your hike takes you past some of the Highland’s finest scenery - including Loch Lomond, Ben Nevis and the Trossachs National Park
- Take an extra day after the end of your tour to ride on the Harry Potter steam train from Fort William to Mallaig or climb Ben Nevis, the UK’s highest mountain!
- Convenience: The start-point of the West Highland Way is in Milngavie – only 30 minutes from Glasgow Airport
West Highland Way Self-Guided Walking Packages;
- Options for 4-9 Days Walking
- Top-Choice Accommodation
- Detailed Itinerary and Map
- Baggage Transfer
- Insider Tips
- 24/7 Support
To enquire about this walk please submit an enquiry using our Hiking Trails UK and Europe Enquiry Form.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acts as an agent for this walk which is operated by Hillwalk Tours of; 27 Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park, Wellpark Road, Galway, H91 WV02, IRELAND. Package inclusions and pricing will be provided with quote. The walk operator, Hillwalk Tours terms and conditions will apply to bookings for this walk. Images on this page are sourced from Hillwalk Tours.