Speyside Way Whiskey Trail, Scotland
The Speyside Way is one of Scotland’s Great Trails and it runs for 116km from Buckie on the shore of the Moray Firth coast in a south-westwards direction to Aviemore and Kincraig on the edge of the Cairngorm Mountains.
For much of its route the trail follows the valley of the River Spey and passes through the heart of the Speyside Whisky region. This area has the largest concentration of whisky distilleries in Scotland and the whiskies produced in the more than 30 distilleries there include some of the most famous in the world, such as Glenfiddich, The Glenlivet and The Macallan.
The first section of the route, from Spey Bay to Ballindalloch, was opened in 1981. This has been extended over the years with a number of additional route options such as a loop walk to Dufftown, the home of Glenfiddich, and a spur from Ballindaloch to Tomintoul which passes by The Glenlivet distillery. The route is currently being extended past Aviemore and Kincraig to Ruthven Barracks near Kingussie.
The well marked trail offers, for the most part, easy and level walking, often on former railway tracks, a military road and on forest tracks. As well as the many distilleries along the route there is also plenty of nature and wildlife and the route passes through pine and birch woodland, over heather moor and along riverside tracks.
Why go walking on Speyside Way Whiskey Trail?
- Spare those legs of yours! The route offers (mostly) easy walking along old railway lines and riverside tracks and through woodlands and heather moors teeming with wildlife.
- Leading through the heart of the malt whisky capital of the world the Speyside Way Whisky Trail passes close to more than 20 distilleries.
- Visit world-famous distilleries for a taste of Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan, Glen Grant, Cardhu, Chivas Regal or Aberlour Whisky.
- Get in touch with Scottish history on a visit to the magnificent Ballindaloch Castle or enjoy two of Scotland's Heritage railways at Dufftown, Boat of Garten and Aviemore.
Speyside Way Whiskey Trail Self-Guided Walking Packages;
- Options for 5-8 Days Walking
- Top-Choice Accommodation
- Detailed Itinerary and Map
- Baggage Transfer
- Insider Tips
- 24/7 Support
To enquire about this walk please submit an enquiry using our Hiking Trails UK and Europe Enquiry Form.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acts as an agent for this walk which is operated by Hillwalk Tours of; 27 Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park, Wellpark Road, Galway, H91 WV02, IRELAND. Package inclusions and pricing will be provided with quote. The walk operator, Hillwalk Tours terms and conditions will apply to bookings for this walk. Images on this page are sourced from Hillwalk Tours.