South West Coast Path, England
The South West Coast Path is an official National Trail and the longest waymarked long-distance footpath in England and Wales. It stretches for 1,014 km (630 miles), from Minehead in Somerset, along the coasts of Devon and Cornwall, to Poole Harbour in Dorset.
The Path was originally created by coastguards, patrolling the south west peninsula, looking out for smugglers. On their walk from lighthouse to lighthouse the coastguards needed to be able to look down into every little bay and cove. For that reason the path closely hugs the coast and provides excellent views and opportunities to observe the landscape and wildlife.
Today the South West Coast Path has been transformed into a recreational trail that has twice been voted ‘Britain’s Best Walking route’ and regularly features in lists of the world’s best walks. The route takes in tiny fishing villages, rocky headlands, bustling seaside resorts, wooded estuaries and golden beaches washed over by Atlantic surf. The area is rich in wildlife such as seabirds, wild flowers, dolphins, seals and even whales.
Our walking tours focus on the 173km (107.5 miles) long central section of the South West Coast Path in south west Cornwall, between Padstow and Penzance. This part of the trail is also known as the ‘Cornwall Coast Path’ and offers some of the best coastal walking in Europe.
Walking the path is one of the best ways to explore what makes Cornwall, a land of myth and legend, so unique and special. In addition hikers are often reminded of the industrial past in the form of quarrying, mining, lime burning, fishing and boat building. In acknowledgement of centuries of tin and copper mining, six areas adjacent to the South West Coast Path are now part of the Cornish Mining World Heritage Site.
Why go walking on South West Coast Path?
- Experience the beautiful and dramatic Atlantic coastline of west Cornwall and follow part of the longest and most spectacular National Trail in the UK around Lands End - the most westerly tip of Britain.
- Our South West Coast Path tours focus on the most spectacular section of the trail from Padstow to Penzance along the south-west coast of Cornwall, also known as the Cornwall Coastal Path.
- Walk over miles of fine, sandy beaches, through secluded coves and along remote clifftops while looking out for seals, dolphins, basking sharks and maybe even whales.
- Enjoy fresh Cornish fish, Cornish pasties and Cornish ice-cream and discover Cornish place names (‘Zawn a Bal’, anyone?) as you visit quiet villages in one of the 'Celtic Nations’.
South West Coast Path Self-Guided Walking Packages;
- Options for 5-10 Days Walking
- Top-Choice Accommodation
- Detailed Itinerary and Map
- Baggage Transfer
- Insider Tips
- 24/7 Support
To enquire about this walk please submit an enquiry using our Hiking Trails UK and Europe Enquiry Form.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acts as an agent for this walk which is operated by Hillwalk Tours of; 27 Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park, Wellpark Road, Galway, H91 WV02, IRELAND. Package inclusions and pricing will be provided with quote. The walk operator, Hillwalk Tours terms and conditions will apply to bookings for this walk. Images on this page are sourced from Hillwalk Tours.