Hadrian's Wall Path, England
Hadrian’s Wall Path is a long distance National Trail in the north of England. It runs for 135km (84 miles), from Wallsend on the east coast of England to Bowness-on-Solway on the west coast, and it became the 15th National Trail in 2003. With its well-maintained paths and few climbs, Hadrian’s Wall Path is often considered to be the easiest National Trail in the UK.
For much of its length, the trail follows close to the remains of Hadrian’s Wall, the defensive wall built by the Romans on the northern border of their empire in 122AD, now recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There’s history every step of the way as you pass fine examples of Roman settlements and forts together with cosy pubs, bustling market towns and great views too.
Most of the trail runs through remote countryside and small villages but there are sections that pass through the cities and suburbs of Newcastle and Carlisle. The section between Chollerford and Lanercost/Newtown is the highest and ‘wildest’ part of the path; it is also where the Wall is most visible, and includes several important Roman forts (Chesters, Housesteads, Vindolanda, Roman Army Museum, Birdoswald).
Why go walking on Hadrian's Wall Path?
- Move into the past with every step you take on this 135km long National Trail that follows the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Hadrian’s Wall, the best preserved Roman frontier in the world.
- Trace 2,000 years of history across the beautiful border country between Scotland and England while exploring Roman turrets, castles & forts.
- Follow the Wall from the modern, busy cityscape of Newcastle Upon Tyne through the barren, blustery heights of Highshields Crags to the green pastoral scenes of the Eden valley.
- Connect with the life of the men who built and guarded this symbol of Roman Britain almost 2,000 years ago.
Hadrian's Wall Path Self-Guided Walking Packages Include;
- Options for 5-11 Days Walking
- Top-Choice Accommodation
- Detailed Itinerary and Map
- Baggage Transfer
- Insider Tips
- 24/7 Support
To enquire about this walk please submit an enquiry using our Hiking Trails UK and Europe Enquiry Form.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acts as an agent for this walk which is operated by Hillwalk Tours of; 27 Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park, Wellpark Road, Galway, H91 WV02, IRELAND. Package inclusions and pricing will be provided with quote. The walk operator, Hillwalk Tours terms and conditions will apply to bookings for this walk. Images on this page are sourced from Hillwalk Tours.