Fife Coastal Path, Scotland
The Fife Coastal Path is one of Scotland’s official Great Trails. It stretches from the Firth of Forth to the Firth of Tay along the coast of the historic county and peninsula of Fife, which lies in the east of Scotland and within easy reach of Edinburgh.
As well as offering some of the finest coastal walking in Scotland, the trail passes award-winning beaches, woodlands, charming, historic little harbour villages, nationally important estuaries and wildlife reserves. The route has a gentle gradient throughout, however, although the gradient is gentle, the trail still offers plenty of contrast and parts of it can occasionally feel surprisingly remote.
Highlights of the route, aside from some stunning coastal scenery, include the charming, centuries old little harbours at Dysart and Crail and the historic town of St. Andrews, considered the ‘home’ of golf, with its world-famous courses. St Andrews also has Scotland’s oldest university, as well as the remains of a castle and what was once one of the largest cathedrals in the country.
The trail passes by several other internationally renowned golf courses and a variety of interesting castles, sea caves showing Pictish art and several geologically and archaeologically interesting sites. In addition, the walk passes through several nature reserves, such as the Cullaloe Nature reserve at Burntisland, the Dumbarnie Nature reserve, and the Kilminning Coast Nature Reserve (past Crail) and the Tentsmuir Nature reserve (past St Andrews and Leuchars).
Why go walking on Fife Coastal Path?
- Enjoy one of Scotland's finest coastal hiking trails with its pretty seaside villages, sandy beaches, interesting history, and charming old harbours and buildings.
- Spot a wide variety of wildlife, such as seals, dolphins, red squirrels and a number of marine birds.
- Visit St Andrews, the 'home of golf' and the town where British royalty are educated. Explore the university, the oldest in Scotland and the third oldest in the UK and enjoy the many splendid buildings and the cathedral.
- Top off your visit with a game of golf on one of Fife’s famous golf courses, ranked among some of the finest in the world.
- Convenience: The various start- and finish-points of our Fife hiking tours are just a short trip from Edinburgh International Airport.
Fife Coastal Path Self-Guided Walking Packages;
- Options for 5-10 Days Walking
- Top-Choice Accommodation
- Detailed Itinerary and Map
- Baggage Transfer
- Insider Tips
- 24/7 Support
To enquire about this walk please submit an enquiry using our Hiking Trails UK and Europe Enquiry Form.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acts as an agent for this walk which is operated by Hillwalk Tours of; 27 Galway Technology Centre, Mervue Business Park, Wellpark Road, Galway, H91 WV02, IRELAND. Package inclusions and pricing will be provided with quote. The walk operator, Hillwalk Tours terms and conditions will apply to bookings for this walk. Images on this page are sourced from Hillwalk Tours.