Previous Travel Booking Terms and Conditions (Prior to August 2023)
Booking Terms and Conditions for Japan Walks
These Terms and Conditions apply to all Japan travel walk bookings, advice, and reservations managed, provided, marketed, booked, or sold by Hiking Trails Pty Ltd trading as; 'Hiking Trails Pty Ltd', ‘HikingJapan.com‘, and ‘Hiking Trails‘, for which Hiking Trails Pty Ltd may act as a “travel service”, “advisor” and/or “booking agent”;
- HikingJapan.com, Hiking Trails, and the respective websites are trading names and websites of Hiking Trails Pty Ltd, ACN 635 598 033, registered in Victoria, Australia.
- Hiking Trails acts as a 'reseller' for third party 'Operators' and service providers to deliver Japanese walking holiday packages and travel bookings.
- For Kumano Kodo walks booked through Hiking Trails Pty Ltd the terms and conditions and policies of Tanabe City Kumano Tourism Bureau of 1-20 Minato, Tanabe City, Wakayama Prefecture, 646-0031, Japan will also apply to your booking.
- Accepting a quote in writing and/or by paying an amount towards your booking implies complete acceptance of these Hiking Trails Pty Ltd Travel Booking Terms and Conditions
- A Booking is 'Confirmed' once part or full payment has been paid made by the 'Customer' (you) to the 'Agent' (Hiking Trails Pty Ltd), this includes; payment of a non-refundable $250 AUD per person booking deposit and/or payment in full.
- The booking includes only those products and services specifically listed within your emailed quotation and explicitly excludes all other travel costs including but not limited to; flights and airfares, train and bus fares, taxis fares, meals, snacks and drinks beyond those listed in the booking, alcoholic drinks with included meals, travel insurance, additional activities, or accommodation prior to and post walk that is not included in your Hiking Trails Pty Ltd quotation and booking.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd and their Staff and Directors will not be liable for any loss, damage or delay arising from any incident, change, restriction, or other event beyond their control.
- Prices shown on this site are listed as a guide only. All components are subject to availability at the time of booking and to Operator pricing at the time of booking. Prices vary with season and dates, catering to specific dietary requests, the nature of accommodation, the number of guests sharing rooms, specific requests for ensuite rooms, and demand.
- An 'Operator' is any business that Hiking Trails Pty Ltd engages to deliver part of your booking. This includes but is not limited to accommodation operators, local booking agents, travel service providers, and travel support providers.
- When components of your travel and / or hike are booked for you by Hiking Trails Pty Ltd with or through external operators such as but not limited to accommodation, meals, transfers or local support, these have been booked in good faith by Hiking Trails Pty Ltd for you, and Hiking Trails Pty Ltd should not be held liable for the non-delivery or altered delivery of products or services for whatever reasons by third-party Operators.
- Prices quoted for Japan walking holidays do not include Australian GST, consistent with 'GST and international travel' guidance on the Australian Taxation Office website.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd will not be liable for any closures, cancellations, disruptions or otherwise to your travel plans due to weather, Coronavirus/Covid-19, pandemic, major, political or other events, flight cancellation or changes, travel or border restrictions, force majeur, war, natural events or disaster, foreclosure, terrorism, or other factors beyond our control.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd as the booking 'Agent' will not be liable for any personal or third-party injury or loss to person or property in any way linked to the this booking other than where required under Australian Consumer Law (Victoria).
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd is a service based business and reserves the right to collect a booking commission and/or include a non itemised ‘booking management fee’ in travel package pricing.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd acknowledges the seriousness and importance of adhering cautiously to dietary requests and specific allergens and allergies, and whilst Hiking Trails makes every endeavour to cater for specific dietary requests and allergies, and select only accommodation and meal plan Operators who suggest that they can cater for your specific requests, Hiking Trails Pty Ltd should not be held accountable or liable for any reaction, omission, exposure or error as a result of third party providers.
- Hiking is a physical endurance activity generally in a mountain environment with inherent natural and assumed variables, risks, and requiring physical fitness. Hiking Trails Pty Ltd makes no warranty in regard to your physical preparedness or appropriate health, fitness, age, clothing, and equipment. Information is readily available on the length and elevation of daily walks.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd recommends that if you have past or current medical conditions or injuries or have any other known health concerns or risks, that may impair, impact or limit your ability to safely complete the walk or provide risk to you, that you speak to your General Practitioner or seek direct medical professional advice prior to booking.
- Given the remoteness of many walking and hiking adventures, Hiking Trails Pty Ltd recommends that if you have known allergies or dietary restrictions, or pre-existing injuries or medical conditions that you consult your General Practitioner or seek direct medical professional advice prior to booking.
- Requests for dietary changes are not accepted once the booking has been made and the deposit/balance paid. It's important to note that some requests such as excluding Dashi (fish stock) and soy/gluten which is present in soy sauce can be difficult as these two ingredients are base ingredients in most Japanese meals. Whilst Hiking Trails Pty Ltd can commit to sourcing accommodation that states that it can cater to specific dietary requests, Hiking Trails Pty Ltd should not be held accountable for failure by the Operator(s) to accurately apply this request.
- Hiking Trails Pty Ltd reserves the right to retain a non-fundable deposit to offset time and costs, and intellectual property incurred and shared processing your booking. For bookings confirmed after 1 January 2021 the Hiking Trails Pty Ltd non-refundable deposit amount for Japan bookings is $250 AUD per person on the booking.
- Booking Cancellation or Change Requests must be received by Hiking Trails Pty Ltd in writing no less than 8 full calendar weeks prior to the first day of your walk to receive a refund on the balance of fees paid excluding the non-refundable deposit. No refund will be available for whatever reason for changes or cancellations requested less than 8 full calendar weeks prior to the first day of your walk.
- The Terms and Conditions of Hiking Trails Pty Ltd are governed by the laws of the State of Victoria, Australia.
Hiking Trails Pty Ltd highly recommends that you purchase Travel Insurance.
Change and Cancellation Refund Policy
- Non-Refundable $250 AUD Per Person Deposit; Non-Refundable with any change or cancellation.
- Balance of Fees Paid; Refundable if cancelled greater than 8 full weeks prior to first day of your walk.
- Balance of Fees Paid; Non-Refundable if cancelled less than 8 full weeks prior to first day of your walk.
WARNING UNDER THE AUSTRALIAN CONSUMER LAW AND FAIR TRADING ACT 2012
Under the Australian Consumer Law (Victoria), several statutory guarantees apply to the supply of certain goods and services. These guarantees mean that the supplier named on this form is required to ensure that the recreational services it supplies to you-
- are rendered with due care and skill; and
- are reasonably fit for any purpose which you, either expressly or by implication, make known to the supplier; and
- might reasonably be expected to achieve any result you have made known to the supplier.
Under section 22 of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012, the supplier is entitled to ask you to agree that these statutory guarantees do not apply to you. If you sign this form, you will be agreeing that your rights to sue the supplier under the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012 if you are killed or injured because the services provided were not in accordance with these guarantees, are excluded, restricted or modified in the way set out in this form.
NOTE: The change to your rights, as set out in this form, does not apply if your death or injury is due to gross negligence on the supplier's part. Gross negligence, in relation to an act or omission, means doing the act or omitting to do an act with reckless disregard, with or without consciousness, for the consequences of the act or omission. See regulation 5 of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Regulations 2012 and section 22(3)(b) of the Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012.